Job title: Small Animal/Bird Order Picker
Company: Central Garden & Pet
Location: New Haven, CT
Small Animal/Bird Order Picker Job Details:
Fish Mart is hiring in our Pet Segment for a Small Animal/Bird Order Picker.
Do you love pets and love working in a fast-paced environment? Our growing company has opportunities to work with a variety of fish and pets the ideal candidate will be responsible for fulfilling all sales orders. Our team works together to supply our customers with the nation’s top pets. If you are dependable, responsible, and committed to safety, this may be the job for you!
Fill customer orders by properly handling the picking/ packing of livestock (aquatics, animals, birds, reptiles, etc.) using pick sheets generated by the sales office or order pick sheets written by walk-in customers.
Location: Fish Mart is in the Heart of West Haven, CT
Shift Details: Hours and Days may vary.
6 PM-6 AM Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
5-11 PM Friday (Variable)
MEASURES OF SUCCESS:
- Match item numbers from picking tickets and picking labels to correct corresponding item numbers.
- Handle small birds, hamsters, rabbits, and other small animals properly, training will be provided.
- Feed, clean and care for small animals, exposure to pet dander.
- Load trucks (as assigned)
- Unload trucks (as assigned)
- Pick Orders (as assigned)
- Keeps work area clean and orderly.
- Understand and support the goals and objectives of the department.
- Work assigned shift.
- Communicate between lines and assist others when necessary to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Physically count livestock from warehouse/Annex and bring it to its designated area for packing.
- Bag any fish and oxygenate them if they could die from oxygen deprivation while waiting to be packed.
- Bag any fish that may jump out of buckets while waiting to be packed.
- Properly handle different types of livestock in a professional, safe, and approved method.
- Properly identify different species (including sex) or types of livestock.
- Make necessary changes to pick sheets.
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance while on the job.
- Follow all policies and procedures as outlined in each type of animals’ care manual.
- Assist in the training of new department employees on the equipment, procedures, and practices of the department, as needed.
- Perform other assignments/special projects from time to time as directed by management.
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES:
- Attention to detail and ability to work under pressure in a deadline-driven environment.
- Great Attendance
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Responsible, reliable, and dependable work habits a must.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule if necessary.
- Willing to accept assign tasks.
- High school graduate or GED equivalency preferred. Able to read and write English. Able to count accurately.
- Basic knowledge of livestock and the ability to learn to identify all the different types of products in the warehouse/Annex.
- Knowledge of the proper way of lifting articles to avoid injury. Knowledge of how to properly use a hand truck.
- Physically capable of reaching all livestock areas in the warehouse/Annex.
- Lifting to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk and stand for up to 10 hours plus per shift.
- The ability to step up onto a step about 18 inches in height.
- Carry multiple buckets weighing 6lbs each.
- Able to lift boxes up to 50lbs.
BENEFITS PACKAGE & EMPLOYEE PROGRAMS:
· Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
· Free Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
· Health and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
· 401k with 3% company match and annual profit-sharing bonus!
· Paid vacation, holidays, and sick time
· Employee Assistance Program
· Discounts on cell phones, movie tickets, gym memberships, and more!
· Education Assistance (both college degrees and professional certifications)
· Referral Program with cash bonus
At Central Garden & Pet (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA), we believe home is at the center of our lives, and our employees are driven by our purpose to nurture happy and healthy homes. Our company is made up of thousands of people across North America, with an emerging footprint across the U.K., Mexico, China and Canada – all dedicated to helping gardens bloom bigger, pets live healthier and communities grow stronger. We are united by our mission to lead the future of the garden and pet industries…one blade of grass and one wagging tail at a time. Visit our website at www.central.com to learn more.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply for the job now!