Job title: Animal Technologist II (UPDATED) (Multiple Positions)
Company: University of Arizona
Expected salary: $42282 – 52851 per year
Location: Tucson, AZ
Animal Technologist II (UPDATED) (Multiple Positions) Job Details:
Animal Technologist II (UPDATED) (Multiple Positions)
Posting Number req17679
Department Vet Med Administration
Department Website Link https://vetmed.arizona.edu/
Location Tucson Area Farms
Address Tucson, AZ USA
Position Highlights Please note: This posting has been updated to reflect that two positions are available.
Supports all aspects of routine animal husbandry including daily monitoring, recordkeeping, feeding, watering, cleaning, training, and care. Provides advanced animal care duties and performs technical procedures to aid in the care of animals. Ensures areas where animals are housed, both inside and outside, are properly equipped as well as cleaned using proper disinfection protocols. Supports students in curricular settings through oversight of animal handling and safety.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please .
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain high standards for animal husbandry on-site, contributing to and overseeing the wellbeing and health of the veterinary teaching herds on a daily basis.
- On-site duties include feeding, behavioral training, enrichment, maintaining habitats, cleaning housing structures and pens, daily monitoring, record keeping, supply purchasing, and animal handling in accordance with University of Arizona Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC) guidelines.
- Document animal activities for students, staff, and faculty interacting with the teaching herds to ensure staying within IACUC & USDA compliance.
- Support curricular needs by participating in hands-on animal labs as a handler or as a position of animal and student safety oversight.
- Work with animals to ensure appropriate behavior for hands-on curricular settings including light training and positive reinforcement aligning with “Fear Free” guidelines and as directed by the Animal Care Manager and attending veterinarian.
- Support student volunteers in extra-curricular animal handling activities to encourage skill and confidence development as directed by the Animal Care Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of and practical working skills with the following species: cattle, sheep, goats, poultry, dogs, and cats.
- Knowledge of working with farm management, animal husbandry, or healthcare.
- Skilled and able to work with horses.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience or a combination of education and experience.
- Driver’s license and ability to drive according to the
- Relevant work experience (farm management, animal husbandry, or healthcare).
- Experience working with the following species: cattle, sheep, goats, poultry, dogs, and cats.
- Experience working with horses.
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week 40
Job FTE 1.0
Work Calendar Fiscal
Job Category Veterinary and Animal Care
Benefits Eligible Yes – Full Benefits
Rate of Pay $42,282 – $52,851
Compensation Type salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level PC2
Job Family Animal Care
Job Function Veterinary & Animal Care
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies 2
Target Hire Date
Expected End Date
Contact Information for Candidates Katie Chimienti
Open Date 9/14/2023
Open Until Filled Yes
Documents Needed to Apply Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
Diversity Statement At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Apply for the job now!