Job title: Equine Inpatient Assistant
Company: Auburn University
Expected salary: $30160 – 47900 per year
Location: Auburn, AL
Equine Inpatient Assistant Job Details:
Requisition Number S3075P
Home Org Name Clinical Sciences
Division Name College of Veterinary Medicine
Position Title Equine Inpatient Assistant
Job Class Code IC22 (A-C)
Appointment Status Full-time
Limited Term No
Limited Term Length
The is seeking candidates for an Equine Inpatient position. This position will provide patient care, including physical exams, medication administration (IV, IM, PO, SQ), constant patient monitoring and hygiene, for all patients admitted by equine emergency care, medicine, surgery and theriogenology and all in-house patients. The position emphasis is on horse handling skills and awareness to provide a safe working environment for the clinicians, colleagues, and students in the Equine section at the J. T. Vaughan Large Animal Teaching Hospital.
This position will also monitor the welfare of University-owned horses, including those enrolled in research projects. In addition, the individual selected for this position will provide assistance to clinicians with procedures and receiving of emergency cases.
This position is a rotating swing shift position:
- Weekdays: Monday – Thursday 11:00am – 9:00pm
- Weekends: Friday – Sunday 7:00am – 8:00pm
- This schedule rotates monthly from a Monday – Thursday schedule to a Friday – Sunday schedule.
Picture yourself here!Take a virtual tour of our state-of-the-art Large Animal Teaching Hospital here:
Why should YOU work for VET MED?
- Relocation reimbursement to help you with moving expenses!
- Excellent full-time benefits that start on Day 1!
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance options for you and your family.
- Generous state retirement program with eligibility to receive monthly payments after 10 years of service.
- How about these numbers? 4 weeks of vacation, 96 hours of sick leave, 6 weeks of paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child, and 9 official paid holidays.
- Overnight shift differentials = more $$$ in your pocket.
- Veterinary care and food discounts for your pets.
- Uniform and continuing education allowances.
- Tuition assistance for you and your dependents after a year of service.
- Opportunities for advancement.
Need we say more? Probably not – but just in case:
At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn:
Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting .
Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
The formal AU title for this position is Veterinary Assistant
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Performs and demonstrates veterinary care techniques and procedures related to emergency and critical care medicine
- Assist clinicians, students, and residents with admission, patient restraint, and diagnostic procedures of equine cases admitted to the equine hospital;
- Provide direct patient care, including, but not limited to physical exams, medication administration, catheter placement, nasogastric intubation, obtaining blood, fecal and urine samples, and fluid therapy;
- Maintain floor stock and biosecurity of the hospital ICU, inpatient and outpatient barns, Isolation, main treatment areas, and procedural areas.
Depending upon the combination of education and experience, the successful candidate will be selected as an Equine Inpatient Assistant and assigned level II or III.
- Level I requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Level II requires a high school diploma or equivalent plus 2 years of experience working in a veterinary hospital or clinic environment, with horse handling experience.
- Level III requires a high school diploma or equivalent plus 4 years of experience working in a veterinary hospital or clinic environment, with horse handling experience.
Substitutions allowed for Experience:
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience
Minimum Skills, License, and Certifications
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of processes, method, and procedures associated with veterinary medicine.
Minimum Technology Skills
Minimum License and Certifications
Prior horse handling experience is highly desired.
Posting Detail Information
Salary Range $30,160 – $47,900
Job Category Agricultural/Veterinary Medicine
Working Hours if Non-Traditional This position is a rotating swing shift position
City position is located in: Auburn
State position is located: Alabama
List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by this position
Posting Date 09/28/2023
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
Required Documents * Resume
Optional Documents * Cover Letter
Apply for the job now!