Job title: Government Relations Specialist
Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Location: Edison, NJ
Government Relations Specialist Job Details:
How have YOU impacted someone’s life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career all within New Jersey’s premier healthcare system.
The Government Relations Specialist works under the direction of the Senior Vice President with a strong proficiency in handling assignments with a high degree of professional detail and confidentiality and more advanced administrative duties. Serves as an assistant for government relations issues and data. Researches and collects information and produces documentation on findings; represents the Office of Government Relations before internal and external audiences.
A day in the life of an Government Relations Specialist at Hackensack Meridian includes:
- Collects information and reviews federal, state and policy trends to determine organizational objectives, threats and opportunities to HMH.
- Conducts research and reviews findings and produces memos, briefs, reports, or other deliverables outlining the impact of policies on the organization.
- Assists in the design of new projects/programs by analyzing HMH system requirements.
- Writes and edits letters, emails, minutes of meetings, and legislative analyses for distribution throughout the organization and the public. Documents are to be reviewed by the SVP.
- Supports department’s internal and external communications efforts
- Prepares required state and federal lobbying reports to be filed by HMH and the Office of Government Relations personnel.
- Assist in the development of organizational responses or positions relative to existing or proposed policies, and may develop strategies to mitigate/limit or leverage the impact of policies on the organization’s operations.
- Coordinates meetings and events with little or no supervision.
- Represents the Office of Government Relations in internal and external meetings, including interfacing with Legislators, members of Congress and their respective staff.
- Attends New Jersey trade association meetings including the New Jersey Hospital Association, New Jersey Business and Industry Association, etc., as requested by the Senior Vice President.
- Attends Federal trade association meetings as requested.
- Prioritizes tasks given by manager at own discretion based upon knowledge of the job.
- Organizes workflow, including scheduling projects and setting deadlines on behalf of leaders and/or work groups.
- Proactively anticipates work within the department and prioritizes tasks utilizing the skills of others as needed.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Post graduate work can offset some experience.
- Problem management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships.
- Analytical thinking skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to influence others.
- Ability to identify and seek needed information/research skills.
- Conceptual thinking skills.
- Uses sound judgment in decision-making, problem-solving and project coordination in a fast-paced, high performance environment.
- Acts as role model to peers fostering teamwork, collaboration, and integration among team members and leaders.
- Demonstrates outstanding time management skills and project follow-up.
- Demonstrates ability to coordinate projects to meet deliverables and timelines.
- Proficient computer skills that include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Broad experience with federal, state and local public policy issues, preferably those affecting healthcare.
- Strong familiarization and knowledge about political and legislative processes.
- Public speaking skills.
- Impeccable ethics.
- Ability to work independently.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Apply for the job now!