Job title: CANSSI Program and Communication Officer
Company: University of Toronto
Expected salary: $67659 per year
Location: Toronto, ON
CANSSI Program and Communication Officer Job Details:
Date Posted: 08/09/2023
Req ID: 33336
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: CANSSI Ontario
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00050750
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada’s leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
The University of Toronto and the Faculty of Arts & Science is building capacity in statistical and datascience in response to the rapid increase of data-intensive research in most academic disciplines. On July 1, 2019, CANSSI Ontario at UofT was established with the dual role to further strengthen the University’s activities in statistical and data science and to host CANSSI Ontario: the Ontario Regional Centre of the Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute (CANSSI).
Your responsibilities will include:
- Implementing communication plans that support CANSSI’s outreach goals and objectives. Implementing digital communication plans across a broad range of marketing/communication channels
- Building and strengthening relationships with stakeholders and partners of strategic importance. Implementing community relations outreach plans for targeted audiences. Delivering presentations outlining proposals to attract sponsorship opportunities.
- Analyzing and recommending options for the development of visual expression/layout of digital assets. Assessing, selecting and implementing search engine optimization techniques. Advising on strategies to align websites with marketing/communication objectives. Testing website before launching new additions. Customizing website according to objectives or user feedback. Coordinating website updates and ensuring technical issues are resolved. Maintaining information on digital platforms.
- Implementing social media campaigns. Creating and maintaining presence on social media platforms. Developing and editing standard operating procedures for online content production and use. Disseminating information via social media. Fostering and maintaining positive relationships with targeted social media communities.
- Creating and producing graphic designs that reflect departmental and/or divisional objectives. Designing graphic elements for digital and online media.
- Conceptualizing, organizing and executing event activities. Promoting events and programs to target audiences. Conducti ng post-event evaluation, analysis and recommendations for changes.
- Researching, recommending and writing story ideas that advance priorities and initiatives. Liaising with clients to draft , review and discuss communications briefs. Writing and editing correspondence and public statements on behalf of senior leaders.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in communication, or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum four years of recent and related experience in implementing and supporting communication plans and marketing strategies, including the creation of digital communication plans, website content and maintenance, researching and writing communication content, design and production of publications and promotional material, and the planning and execution of event activities.
- Experience in building and strengthening relations with stakeholders and partners of strategic importance preferably in a non-profit or an academic environment. Experience with implementing community relations outreach plans for targeted audiences.
- Experience with researching and identifying opportunities to promote programs and initiatives.
- Experience with delivering presentations outlining proposals to attract sponsorship opportunities and other related outreach initiatives.
- Experience writing and editing content for publication and promotion, design layout, production and distribution in hardcopy, electronic format and on websites. Experience in delivering high-quality communications content in a range of formats. Experience with Content Management Systems. Experience in managing a wide range of web publishing and communications tools (e.g. blogs, social media, email newsletters, etc.) Proven journalistic experience, including investigating and pitching stories, executing interviews with academic researchers, students, alumni and donors, employers and other groups of related interest, and writing newsand feature stories.
- Experience with tracking communication metrics and website analytics and preparing statistical reports and evaluating and enhancing communication initiatives.
- Experience with implementing strategies to align websites with marketing/communication objectives; customizing websites according to objectives and designing graphic elements for digital and online media. Experience with creating and maintaining a presence on social media platforms and implementing social mediacampaigns.
- Experience with conceptualizing, organizing and executing event activities and outreach initiatives.
- Experience with writing and editing correspondence and public statements on behalf of senior leaders.
- Advance skills in desktop publishing software, word processing software, email and internet software, and website design and maintenance. Demonstrated advanced skills in MS Office (Microsoft, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Skilled in the use of Adobe Creative Suites (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and other related systems), WordPress and Drupal and/or similar content management systems.
- Exceptional proofreading and editing skills with working knowledge of graphics design principles for website and print communication. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent organizational ability and interpersonal skills. Excellent problem solving skills.
- Must have high level of demonstrated initiative and diplomatic skills, good judgement and decision making skills. Good presentation and marketing skills.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Goal oriented
Application Instructions: Candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a curriculum vitae via the U of T website. While we appreciate every application, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: 08/27/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 11 — $67,659 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $86,523. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Toronto embraces Diversity and is building a culture of belonging that increases our capacity to effectively address and serve the interests of our global community. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black and racialized persons, women, persons with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual and gender identities. We value applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that diverse perspectives, experiences, and expertise are essential to strengthening our academic mission.
As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a brief Diversity Survey. This survey is voluntary. Any information directly related to you is confidential and cannot be accessed by search committees or human resources staff. Results will be aggregated for institutional planning purposes. For more information, please see .
The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic mission.
The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities.
If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact .
Apply for the job now!