Job title: Ngurrara Ranger Coordinator (male)
Company: Yanunijarra Aboriginal Corporation
Location: Fitzroy Crossing, WA
Ngurrara Ranger Coordinator (male) Job Details:
Who we are
Yanunijarra Aboriginal Corporation was established to manage approximately 77, 595 square kilometres of exclusive possession and 25,000 consent determined native title in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. We currently manage a team of rangers, who carry out conservation and land management and cultural work strongly guided by the Ngurrara Steering Committee and Traditinal Owners.
We’re seeking a suitably qualified and motivated person to live and work in the Fitzroy Valley and to supervise the Ngurrara Indigenous Ranger Program (IRP) male ranger group plan. This unique role will give the sucsessful canidate a chance to work with a mature, established and indipendant Desert Ranger program that is firmly underpinned by governing cultural protocols.
About the role
Key duties include (but are not limited to) coordinating the day-to-day activities of the Ngurrara Rangers; providing workplace leadership, mentoring and performance reviews; organising meetings with key stakeholders to monitor the annual IRP work plan; managing and understanding the IRP budget to make sure it’s used to its full potential; ensuring effective day-to-day administration of the Ngurrara Ranger program including of timesheets, payments, purchases etc; planning and supervising field activities, including to remote locations; assisting researchers to engage in on-country research with Ngurrara Ranger groups; and ensuring compliance by Ngurrara Rangers with cultural protocols and policies and procedures.
Please note, that it is essential your application addresses each of the selection criteria by providing information about your qualifications, experience and skills as they relate to each one.
- Experience and/or qualification(s) relating to the following fields: ecology, agriculture, threatened species conservation, conservation and land management, fire abatement and fire suppression, community development, or other related field.
- Demonstrated experience and confidence in working with Aboriginal communities, managing small teams and/or coordinating on-ground natural and cultural resource management projects, preferably with Indigenous organisations and/or in arid and remote regions of Australia.
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of Aboriginal social and cultural challenges in Northern Australia and willingness to commit to community empowerment, training and development.
- Experience in working independently with minimal supervision in a remote area and demonstrated capacity to remain focused, positive and organised in a challenging work environment.
- Good communication, negotiation and community consultation skills, including ability to work with an advisory group and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated experience in project administration and finance management including grant writing, reporting and acquittals.
- Literacy with common computer programs and proven experience managing emails and other documents.
- Current valid driver’s licence and a Working with Children’s Check (WCC) or ability to obtain one.
- Experience working with Indigenous land managers, rangers or Indigenous Protected Areas.
- Experience working with Traditional Owners in desert regions.
- Understanding of native title and land tenure, community governance and personal development processes.
- Technical or trade skills relevant to the ranger program (i.e. construction, fire and weed management, GIS, cultural mapping, plant and animal identification, small engine maintenance).
- Experience working with community development in a cross cultural setting.
Salary and Benefits
12-month contract, an attractive salary package with significant subsidies including 5 weeks annual leave, relocation, leave loading, district allowance, rental subsidy, air conditioning subsidy, an annual airfare (subject to qualifying period) and the option to salary sacrifice up to $15,889 per annum will be offered to the successful candidates. nrmjobs.com.au/job/20018569
Apply for the job now!