Job title: Dairy Teaching and Research Center Manager
Company: Kansas State University
Expected salary: $52530 – 84006 per year
Location: Manhattan, KS
Dairy Teaching and Research Center Manager Job Details:
About This Role:
The Kansas State University Dairy Teaching and Research Center (DTRC) serves the dairy teaching, research, and extension missions of the Department of Animal Sciences & Industry. The DTRC, located 3 miles from campus, is one of the highest-producing university herds in the nation, and is supported by a dedicated team of employees. Kansas is one of the of fastest-growing dairy states, with continued expansion expected in the future. The knowledge generated at the DTRC through research, teaching, and extension activities is critical to maintaining the continued growth of the Kansas dairy industry and beyond. The Department of Animal Sciences & Industry is seeking a talented individual to serve as the DTRC Manager.
The DTRC Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of personnel, animals, and unit facilities at the DTRC. The incumbent will also work closely with faculty and students to facilitate research trials at the DTRC.
Animal care – The DTRC Manager oversees the routine care (feeding, milking, reproductive management, herd health, waste management, etc.) of the mature cows and young stock. The incumbent will work with herd veterinarians and faculty supervisors to establish, execute, and evaluate standard operating protocols for maintaining optimum animal care, herd production, and research study outcomes.
Operational management – The DTRC Manager will oversee and conduct routine daily operational management of the facility, including (but not limited to):
- Animal record maintenance
- Feed inventory and procurement
- Repair and maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Regulatory compliance (environmental, milk sanitation, research, etc.)
- Cleaning and infrastructure maintenance
- Manure management and export
- Coordination of research facilities and animal allocations at the DTRC
- Coordination with researchers for scheduling and facilitation of research projects
- Coordinate teaching and extension activities that occur on the DTRC.
- Communicate with department and faculty in establishing goals for facility projects, herd management, and research logistics.
Supervision – The DTRC Manager will lead a talented team of employees to ensure adequate care of livestock and daily operations of the DTRC, including (but not limited to):
- Supervise, mentor, coach, and redirect employees (fulltime, part time, and student labor)
- Manage payroll.
- Hire full time, part time, and student labor.
- Train employees in appropriate aspects of their job responsibilities
- Assign work responsibilities.
- Assign weekly work schedules.
- Ensure maintenance of occupational health and safety training requirements of all employees
- Communication between researchers and farm staff of protocols and processes required for adequate research project treatment administration and data collection.
- Maintain a motivated and vibrant working environment by facilitating communication among the DTRC staff, students, and supervisors.
Other responsibilities – The DTRC Manager is also expected to:
- Receive emergency calls at all times. Unless delegated to others, as appropriate.
- Work with the DTRC assistant manager to cover supervisory duties on weekends and holidays.
- Perform additional tasks and duties as assigned by the faculty supervisors.
- Conduct tours for visitors with different backgrounds at the DTRC, e.g., farmers, students, technicians, youth, consumers, etc.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit:
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the
This position is required to be performed on-site. Work is performed on employer premises or designated assignment location.
Visit this for K-State’s guidance and policies on remote work and flexible work arrangements. Remote work agreements are required for all flexible work arrangements and are subject to review.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience. This position may use an educational equivalency as determined relevant by a hiring manager.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds repeatedly.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience operating equipment and working with large animals, especially dairy cattle.
- Valid Driver’s License
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- KSU page Up online application
- Letter of Interest
- List of three professional references with cell numbers and email addresses listed.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until suitable candidate is identified.
Anticipated Hiring Pay Range:
$52,530 – $70,000.00 annually
Please note: The full salary range for this position is $52,530-$84,006 and includes both the typical hiring range and potential future pay progression. Actual salary will be determined based on the candidate’s experience, education, internal equity and departmental funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: Jul 31, 2023 Central Daylight Time
Apply for the job now!