Job title: Director, Thermal Operations
Location: Inuvik, NT
Director, Thermal Operations Job Details:
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Director will provide direction, leadership and management of division programs and services to ensure the safe, reliable, and efficient operation, maintenance and replacement of power generation and distribution facilities for the Thermal Division. To develop and maintain effective community relations and customer service in all client communities and to promote business development activities, which benefit corporate and community interests. Maintains and promotes effective staff relations. To perform at the executive leadership level as a member of the Senior Leadership in developing and directing corporate goals, financial and business plans, and strategies to ensure the effective planning and delivery of programs and services to achieve the corporate mandate.
Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer: Leads the daily operation of the Thermal Operations Division; is responsible to ensure the Mission, Vision and Values of the organization are articulated and understood by divisional staff. Must lead the divisional staff towards the achievement of the corporation’s organizational goals and objectives. Operates as a supervisor/coach/mentor for direct reports, which includes, setting objectives, assigning duties, assessing, and managing individual performance, with the aim of delivering results. This position requires a high degree of autonomy, confidentiality, business decorum and strategic business acumen.
- In a team organizational structure, provides direction and leadership to a staff of up to 60 including professionals, technical trades and operating staff involved in the planning, organization and delivery of day-to-day programs and services to meet the power generation, sales, and distribution needs of client communities throughout the Division. The division generates and sells power for customers in 18 communities.
- In collaboration with Managers and program staff directs the review and evaluation of power generation and distribution facilities on an on-going basis, recommends improvement and replacement to system facilities, and ensures the development and implementation of short-term and long-term strategies, work plans, and budgets to achieve desired objectives.
- Administers the collective agreement and maintains effective employee relation practices within the department, including grievance administration, recruitment, performance assessment and the application of progressive discipline, and participates in collective bargaining as required.
- Directs the planning and administration of division operating and capital budgets and ensures that effective procedures are in place to monitor and control an operating budget between 40 and 50 million dollars and a capital budget between 10 to 15 million dollars in related assets.
- Communicates directly with customers, politicians, media and the public and represents the Corporation in various venues such as conferences, community boards, and business chambers and community events to ensure effective and productive customer and community relations are maintained in all client communities.
- Prepares or assists in preparing position papers, briefing notes, and presentations on corporate issues and proposals to ensure the effective communication of corporate strategies.
- Participates on the Senior Leadership team in the development, implementation and achievement of corporate goals, objectives and policies and makes appearances or presentations before the Board of Directors, the Public Utilities Board, or other Boards and Agencies to ensure the effective communication of regional positions, programs, or issues.
- Maintains effective liaison with peers, head office managers and staff, and participates on management and working committees as required to represent the region and ensure a coordinated approach to the development and delivery of programs, policies, and procedures throughout the Corporation.
- Coordinates the implementation of corporate policies, procedures, and initiatives, defends, and promotes all directives, and provides advice and assistance to staff in their interpretation and application.
- Participates as a member of the Emergency Response Team assisting in managing staff and resources during emergencies such as forest fires, community outages, oil spills and other environmental accidents, strikes and lockouts and liaising with corporate environmental and public relations specialists to effectively respond to community concerns on major issues and events. In the event of an emergency may be required to provide on-site management and assistance and to assist field staff as required.
- May represent field operation management in Safety Incident Reviews, participates on Safety Committees, and ensures regional activities are performed in compliance with Health and Safety legislation, regulations, codes, and practices.
- Identifies and recommends the development of new business opportunities and participates with the Chief Development Officer in the analysis and implementation of new business initiatives within the Region / Division.
- Maintains an up-to-date understanding of activities across all program areas and performs the duties of senior and executive management staff on an acting basis as required and assigned by the Chief Operations Officer.
- Requires an Engineering degree and ten years of directly related experience in thermal or diesel power generation, OR a Red Seal Journeyperson (mechanical or electrical) with a minimum of ten years of directly related experience in thermal power generation,
- AND at least ten years’ experience in management or supervisory roles.
- Experience with annual inspections & maintenance of LNG facilities is an asset.
- Experience with alternative generation or independent power producer integration is a definite asset.
- Change management skills and experience is a definite asset.
- Excellent skills relating to communications, marketing, human relations, negotiations, strategic operational and financial planning, and problem solving.
- Proven written and oral communication skills to develop and present reports, position papers and proposals.
- Proven team building, management, and administrative skills to plan and direct unit programs and services, supervise staff and to provide effective input and recommendations as a member of the Corporate Executive Committee and other management committees.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among various community and/or stakeholder groups.
- Requires a high level of interpersonal communication skills. Must be an excellent motivator in a wide range of circumstances and diverse situations.
- Requires the ability to handle confrontational situations in the government, corporate and public sectors and to defend the actions and programs of the Corporation.
- Requires sensitivity to the political, legal, safety and environmental concerns facing the Corporation.
- Computer skills to operate software programs related to word processing, spreadsheet, databases, electronic mail, Internet, etc.
- Requires the ability to adapt general policy directives into specific tasks, monitors the progress and initiates corrective measures to achieve the desired result.
- A comprehensive understanding of local, regional, and northern political and social economic conditions and values.
- Must have a class 5 driver’s license.
- Must provide a satisfactory criminal record check.
Salary for this position ranges from $86.45/hr – $108.07/hr. ($168,577 – $210,736 per year) plus location and accommodation allowances of approximately $16,008 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes health and dental benefits, long-term disability, life insurance, paid sick days and a defined benefits pension plan. Relocation Assistance may be provided. This position is located in Inuvik, NT.
Affirmative Action Employer – Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Apply for the job now!