Job title: Instrumentation Technician
Company: Rio Tinto
Location: Yellowknife, NT
Instrumentation Technician Job Details:
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Located in Lac de Gras, the working schedule will be a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotation
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for an Instrument Technician to be part of our Fixed Plant Asset Management department. The technician will provide electrical/instrument support in response to operational changes resulting from the malfunction, breakdown, relocation, replacement or installation of new equipment associated with the autonomous equipment in the underground mine.
This is a great opportunity for an individual to be an instrumental part of the planning team during the installation or modification of new or existing equipment. The instrument technician will provide support in the process plant and other fixed plant areas around site as required.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Fixed Plant Maintenance Supervisor and working in a collaborative community and a diverse team within underground and surface team, you will be responsible for:
- Installing, troubleshooting, designing, commissioning, and maintaining all control systems, electrical, motor control, radios, and solid-state controllers associated with the Tele-remote Systems
- Maintaining equipment, parts, and supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed equipment parts, and supplies, placing requests with the planners and follow up on deliveries when required.
- Performing machine ownership responsibilities on assigned equipment to exceed expectation of ensuring equipment is in proper working condition to meet safety, quality and productivity expectation.
- Addressing and mitigating safety/environmental risks to ensure all daily safety protocols are being met
- Maintaining excellent documentation including but not limited to work orders, commissioning documentation, daily reports, as-builts, status reports, safety and maintenance programs, JHA, SOP and Preventative Maintenance documentation;
- Working and Promoting Safety within the underground fixed plant department.
- Meeting your personal safety plan commitments:
- Immediately reporting all incidents and accidents to your immediate supervisor.
- Working to achieve or exceed the site and departmental safety goals.
- Foster and develop a safety culture within the processing plant.
- Use a safe working attitude when performing tasks
- Complete a JHA prior to performing
- Actively participate in the morning pre-start/LEAN meeting
- Completing other related work as assigned by the Fixed Plant Maintenance Supervisor, Lead Hand, or Senior Managers
- Operating mobile equipment – specifically aerial work platforms and scissor lifts, tele-handlers, front end loaders as required
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Interprovincial Journeyperson certification as an Instrumentation technician
- Advanced understanding of process system automation, PLC Controls, Fixed plant, Mobile equipment and motor control systems
- Additional Trade Qualifications as an Electrician or experience working in a process plant would be highly advantageous
- Excellent knowledge and troubleshooting skills in accordance with the Canadian Electrical Code and Mines Act
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with Atlas Copco ST14 tele remote systems in a large-scale underground mining operation
- Current St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR is an asset
- Excellent oral, written and active-listening skills
- Highly effective organizational, time management and analytical skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminium, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities
Working at Rio Tinto also means choosing to be part of a company designated as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023 for a 4th consecutive year. For more information, click here:
Where you’ll be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Apply for the job now!