Job title: Livestock Coordinator – 2nd Shift
Company: Smithfield Foods
Expected salary: $18.27 – 26.84 per hour
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Livestock Coordinator – 2nd Shift Job Details:
A great job and a great future await you at Smithfield Foods. As the world’s largest pork processor and largest hog producer in the United States, we’re a $16 billion global food company with more than 55,000 employees. We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us.
Our team members receive industry-competitive salaries and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Competitive Starting Pay
- Eligible for Overtime Pay
- Earn an additional $1.00/hour for 2nd and 3rd shift positions!*
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
- Education benefit available to full- and part time Smithfield team members on their first day of employment.
*Program eligibilities apply
In addition, we offer opportunities for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
The Livestock Coordinator coordinates the movement of livestock from receiving area to the holding pens.
$18.27 – $26.84/hour
- Receives, unloads and sorts hogs according to quality and weight.
- Identifies (tattoo), scales, moves and accurately counts livestock, including any dead or non-ambulatory animals.
- Moves hogs from trucks to holding pens.
- Monitors yard and truck conditions according to corporate and government standards to ensure livestock are handled properly.
- Performs livestock handling animal welfare audits.
- Processes outgoing livestock.
- Communicates clearly among team members and management team.
- Establishes and documents kill/harvest schedule to meet operational and animal handling requirements.
- Supports the Hog Barn Supervisor and takes a lead role with the Hog Receiver team.
- Delegates work and provides conflict resolution as directed by the Supervisor or Manager.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2+ years verifiable livestock handling experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Producer Quality Assurance and Truckers Quality Assurance, preferred.
- USDA Bonded, preferred. – Bobcat Safety Training Certificate, preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Captive bolt trained to euthanize downed pigs.
- Strong math skills and knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to make independent decisions.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize daily work assignments and manage time wisely.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to others on the Hog Procurement team.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
Noise level in the work environment can be loud when in the production area.
Frequently required to move and/or lift 100 pounds and occasionally required to move and/or lift more than 50 pounds.
Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit .
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn’t just a job – it’s the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That’s why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees. Also, education benefits available to full and part-time Smithfield team members on their first day of employment
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly®” and serve as one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan’s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit , and connect with us on , , and .
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.
Apply for the job now!