Job title: Senior Shovel Technician
Company: Anglo American
Location: Northwest Territories
Senior Shovel Technician Job Details:
We are looking for a rare gem
You communicate openly and enjoy being part of a fantastic team with an unwavering commitment to safety. Come and join us working at Gahcho Kué, one of the world’s greatest mines.
We’re the world’s leading diamond company – a unique luxury business that thrives on the creativity, passion and knowledge of our people.
To push our company forwards, we always need to think differently. We welcome diverse perspectives, people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions.
In return, we provide you with the space and support to grow and achieve your ambitions.
When you join De Beers Group you can expect a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in in an environment with opportunities for learning and growth as an integral contributor to the success of Gahcho Kué Mine. From technical training to leadership programs and world class safety, we bring out the best in people. At De Beers Group we’re focused on more than just diamonds. We are driven by a desire to make life brilliant for our people, our customers and those living in the communities where we operate. Our business thrives on the creativity, passion, and knowledge of our people.
De Beers Group has an opportunity for an individual with Komatsu PC5500 Front Load Shovel experience to join the Mobile Maintenance team at the Gahcho Kué Mine. This position is responsible for the preventative maintenance and major repair to the PC5500 shovel, PC2000 Excavator, PC1250 Excavator, WA1200 Loader and other mobile mining equipment. The ideal candidate is one who is committed to safe working practices and strives for zero harm.
Rewards & Benefits:
- Earn up to a 9% company contribution to your pension plan;
- Relocation support is available to anyone who wishes to move to the Northwest Territories;
- Quarterly operational bonus program;
- MyShare program;
- Remote Living Allowance;
- Travel Allowance to offset the costs of getting to the nearest point of pick up;
- Immediate participation in our 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefit program (no waiting period); and
- The Gahcho Kué Mine camp features a full service dining room, individual private bedrooms equipped with satellite cable television, telephones and WiFi internet. There’s also a full-sized gymnasium, squash courts and state of the art fitness equipment.
- Working with team to conduct job risk assessments and safe work plans ahead of the work being completed and performing work in a safe well-managed manner;
- Conducting preventative maintenance and servicing of mobile equipment;
- Checking for proper performance and inspecting equipment to detect faults and malfunctions;
- Diagnosing, troubleshooting and determining extent of mechanical problems;
- Working with a continuous product improvement mindset;
- Rebuilding components and working with manufacturers when necessary;
- Documenting and returning completed work orders in a timely manner;
- Communicating with Supervisors and co-workers to coordinate work and provide updates;
- Providing input and working collaboratively with Planners and Schedulers to develop work packages; and
- Following policies and standards such as safety, environmental, confidentiality and the code of conduct.
- Reporting to the Mobile Maintenance Supervisor, this is a site-based position with a 14 days in / 14 days out rotation.
- Legally permitted to work in Canada;
- Valid interprovincial Red Seal Journeyperson’s Heavy Duty Mechanic or Technician Qualification;
- Experience servicing Komatsu and/or other Hydraulic shovel equipment (5-7 years);
- Training and experience with Komatsu Electrical and Hydraulic systems;
- Training and experience with Cummins Engines;
- Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems; Ability to communicate, share information and seek input to complete assigned work;
- Familiarity with computerized maintenance management systems (Komtrax/SAP);
- Experience with the Pit Viper 271;
- Proven commitment to Safety, Health and Environmental Standards; and
- Experience working at a remote mining site and in a cross-cultural work environment.
Who We Are: De Beers Canada
Active in Canada for over 60 years, we are part of De Beers Group, the world’s leading diamond company. Globally, we are a team of more than 20,000 people, with operations in Canada, Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa, and activities across the diamond value chain from exploration to diamond jewelry retail. Our unwavering focus on sustainability and Building Forever fuels our commitment to advance standards across the diamond industry, protect the natural world, partner with local communities, and accelerate economic inclusion to support diversity in our business and beyond.
In Canada, we have more than 600 employees working at offices in Calgary, Toronto and Yellowknife, actively exploring for new diamond opportunities, recovering diamonds at the joint venture Gahcho Kué mine in the Northwest Territories, and closing and rehabilitating two mines. We are also advancing the Chidliak Project to establish a technologically advanced diamond mine on Baffin Island using FutureSmart Mining™ principles.
At De Beers, we believe in the power of working in partnership with communities to create lasting, positive impacts that endure long after we recover the last diamond. Our inclusive and diverse workplace values mining with respect for the environment and nearby communities, and we seek team players who share our passion for Making Life Brilliant.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI)
As a global #HeForShe Thematic Champion, De Beers is committed to promoting an equitable, inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential. Please inform us should there be any special requirements that should be considered as part of your application.
Sustainability is at the heart of our decision-making – it is how we do business. Building Forever is key to our purpose as it represents our ambitious and holistic sustainability framework and is central to our ability to deliver long-term value to our communities and partners. This shapes how we protect our social and environmental license to operate, build a long-term legacy in our host communities and earn consumers’ trust in our diamonds that they can wear with pride.
Referral incentive applicable: This opportunity is open to a paid referral incentive according to the Employee Referral Policy (HRM.AD.21.00). Referral incentives are applicable to De Beers Group internal employees only.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
Apply for the job now!