Job title: Subcontracts Lead
Company: John Wood Group
Location: Houston, TX
Subcontracts Lead Job Details:
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Group is hiring for a Subcontracts Lead – Responsible for the execution of subcontracts activities undertaken by a project subcontracts engineering and overseeing key or critical subcontracts activities, ensuring successful outcome in line with project requirements.
Responsible for the timely mobilisation of resources and the supervision and guidance of directly reporting
Clear understanding of the client’s head contract requirements including Wood responsibilities and
knowledge of how these are integrated into project subcontract strategies, plans, procedures and terms
and conditions. Has broad based knowledge of commercial terms and conditions, interfaces with Wood
legal/commercial experts and can under guidance initiate/discuss exceptions in order to reach a robust
Control of project subcontract operations and co-ordination of interface activities with other project team
members in accordance with applicable company and project requirements, systems, procedures, budgets
and schedules. Where applicable, and suitably trained and qualified, execute quantity surveying duties in
accordance with applicable practices and procedures.
Control of construction phase subcontracts in the field including home office liaison and interface with the
client’s organisation, where applicable. Field administration of all construction and services contracts in
accordance with applicable corporate and project requirements, systems, procedures, budgets and
Delivers clear and concise reports on progress of all activities for which they are responsible. Ensures direct
reports regularly update reports/systems with required information to allow accurate reporting and
escalates any critical issues and risks to project management.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operate in accordance with appropriate and current corporate execution procedures and Project
- Ensure all subcontracts activities are carried out in accordance with the project execution
plan/schedule and/or contracting strategy, within approved budgets and in line with project
processes and procedures.
- Provides guidance, direction and support to the reporting personnel in delivery of their specific
- Review or where required, prepare contract documents and arrange execution of same in line with
- Undertake / monitor the administration of contracts (i.e. processing of payment certificates, price
variation summaries etc.) and ensure the satisfactory operation of procedures.
- Educate and induct assigned field staff in matters of project organisation, project schedule, work
scope and the allocated subcontracts; including their conditions, forms of tender, bills of quantities,
pricing schedules and associated drawings and engineering standards and ensure their effective liaison
with all other site disciplines
- Ensure that the assigned staff monitor any changes to the value of the work in each allocated
construction contract arising from drawing revisions, Field Instruction’s, Field Variation Order’s or
- Ensure that subcontractors receive all necessary access, materials, documents and information
including site safety, labour and discipline regulations to enable them to meet their contractual
obligations and maintain comprehensive records of shortfalls of supply of any such deliverables.
- Use all resources and remedies under the subcontract in order to ensure that subcontractors meet
their contractual obligations.
- Monitor and, in collaboration with other appropriate site disciplines, ensure that the performance of
each assigned subcontractor is recorded together with explanations for any deviations from the
performance anticipated from the contractor’s tender.
- Manage all commercial and contractual activities, supervising others as appropriate, concerning
construction and services contracts, including issue of variations, maintaining register of claims,
ensuring interim and final acceptance certificates are issued, performance record keeping, close-out
activities and the return of all relevant records to home office for archiving.
- Carrying out quantity surveying duties when required and qualified to do so
- Always promote safe working practices and demonstrate safety leadership
- Understand and live Woods vision, values and behaviours.
- Understand and work to the Wood Financial Management Framework as it relates to subcontracts
- Assist in identifying and applying performance management and development plans for direct
- Ensured all internal and external in year savings are recorded.
Internal: Supply Chain Manager/ Subcontracts Manager, Engineering, Construction, project control & planning,
Assigned Team Members, Materials and Logistics, Accounts Payable
External: Relationships with strategic key subcontractors and engineering service providers, clients supply
chain representatives and industry bodies (ie. RICS, ECITB or local equivalent)
LEVEL OF INFLUENCE & DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
- Under specific direction, sets objectives for direct reports and responsible for the delivery of these
- Accomplishment of duties delegated by Supply Chain Manager, Subcontract Managers
- Ensure clear understanding of processes and procedures and compliance against these (including
ethics / Supply Chain Code of Conduct / modern slavery / policy / segregation of duties)
- Understands and ensure implementation of Financial authority in line with DoA
Skills / Qualifications
Educated to Degree or Equivalent, or Vocational equivalent qualification; RICS qualified or industry
Record of skills training appropriate for job specific role.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years applicable Oil and Gas or Heavy Industrial sectors of Construction Industry, or
- Advanced knowledge of Subcontractors, commercial evaluations, negotiations and terms and
conditions of contract.
- In depth knowledge of commercial position imposed by Head Contracts
- Advanced knowledge of Industry forms of Subcontract
- Computer systems
- Supply Chain Principles and techniques
- Excellent communication skills, written, oral and presentation
- High degree of initiative
- Maintains a strong network both within and outside of supply chain department
- Positively works to develop relationships with subcontractors, clients and other disciplines
- Planning and organisational skills
- Enthusiastic proactive attitude
- Analytical, with strong problem-solving skills
- Work as part of project execution team, leading by example
- Identify efficiency, process and tool improvement opportunities and successful
drive through change
- Briefs others on matters of significance pertaining to subcontracts or industry
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Apply for the job now!