Job title: Heavy Equipment Technician
Location: Dawson City, YT
Heavy Equipment Technician Job Details:
Chief Isaac Mechanical is a diverse mechanic shop located in Dawson City, Yukon. Our
mechanic shop is licensed to maintain and repair vehicles of every size, including heavy duty
vehicles and RVs. We are actively recruiting several positions for Heavy Equipment and/or
Automotive Technician to join our Team.
Work Environment & Responsibilities
- Repair and perform electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical maintenance on various equipment
including diesel, LPG units, electric and gas units.
- Program, update, and calibrate on board control systems.
- Diagnosing, servicing, troubleshooting and repairing mobile and stationary equipment.
- Performing preventative maintenance inspections and repairs.
- Order parts and shop supplies as required.
- Work with manufacturers online support.
- Maintain shop tools (such as pressure washer, air compressors, forklifts, etc.).
- Heavy equipment operating experience would be considered an asset.
- Comply with all CIM, WCB, and OH&S policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Performance of daily duties in a manner conducive to a safe workplace.
- Use of all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) applicable to the task at hand.
- Complete daily time cards for work performed.
- Conduct general housekeeping duties around shop and all company vehicles.
- When required, assist fellow employees in other departments.
- Participate in company scheduled training and education opportunities.
- The majority of the position is in the Dawson City area with possibility of call outs to
- Opportunity for camp work may be available during the summer production season.
- Work varies between indoor and outdoor work with frequent exposure to adverse weather
- Temperatures range from average highs of +25°C with peaks in excess of +30°C during the
summer months, and lows of -27°C with drops under -40°C during the winter months.
1 | P a g e
Chief Isaac Mechanical
Dawson City, YT
A great opportunity to work in the north in a competitive industry with a competitive team,
involved in multiple sectors, including Mining, Tourism, and Construction!
Your Skills and Qualifications:
- Red Seal Certification and/or currently be registered in a related Apprenticeship program (Lv 3+).
- Lift heavy object and handling materials of over 50 lbs.
- Ability to work above 6 feet (safely).
- Fundamental written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with computers including Microsoft office.
- Be able to work effectively with customers and the general public.
- Excellent demonstrated mechanical aptitude, analysis, problem solving skills, detail oriented
- Ability to perform a variety of complex skilled electrical and mechanical tasks in the overhaul,
repair, maintenance and adjustment of motorcycles, automotive, heavy-duty equipment and
marine electrical systems.
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in
the automotive and heavy-duty mechanical trade.
- Strong knowledge of preventative maintenance.
- Knowledge of regeneration systems.
- Adaptable to changing priorities.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment is considered an asset;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable means of transportation.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Yukon Driver’s Licence (upon hire) or another provincial equivalent.
- Having a reliable personal vehicle is considered a preferable for daily commute to work site.
- Valid Class 3 Driver’s Licence with air endorsement, CVIP certification, TDG, and WHMIS to
be obtained within 6 months of hire.
- If applying from overseas you must have 5-10 years verifiable post qualification experience in
your heavy-duty mechanical trade with local mechanics certification documentation, and clean
driving record with air brakes for same period and a clean drivers abstract.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are TH CITIZENS, with military heavy duty
automotive verifiable experience.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Promote respect, dependability and reliability in all company related tasks.
- Able to work productively alone or in a team environment.
Additional considerations for working in Dawson City, Yukon
- For returning TH citizens out side Yukon and persons from overseas, your economy air fare from
your location with travel and hotel incidentals will be paid upon production of receipts, we shall
book your air fare upon travel notice to us and job acceptance.
- You should begin working as soon as you obtain the work permit to work in Canada legally.
- You will be required to work the shift between 9 am to 5 pm, with minimum total of 40 hours per
- For overseas, you will be paid at $31.00 per hour based on government program. Canadian citizens
who have qualifications, we pay market rates. These shall be paid at intervals of bi-weekly.
- Also, we shall provide you with Batchelor accommodation including 3 meals per day, internet, tv at
a below market rent of $2000.00 per month plus. gst 5%
- You will be entitled to inclusion in our medical benefits program for you and Canadian resident
dependents upon successful work performance within 3 months of work initiation.
2 | P a g e
Chief Isaac Mechanical
Dawson City, YT
Opportunities for additional training present and encouraged!
Wage: Highly Competitive and Based on Experience
Benefit package for permanent employees
CII Hiring Policy Applies (Preference will be given to a qualified Tr’ondek Hwech’in citizen)
Please submit a detailed resume to:
Tina Timms (COO)
C/O Chief Isaac Mechanical
PO Box 1110
Dawson City, YT Y0B 1G0
No phone calls will be accepted
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for the job now!