Job title: Maintainer, UGD Millwright
Company: Rio Tinto
Location: Yellowknife, NT
Maintainer, UGD Millwright Job Details:
Maintainer, UGD Millwright
- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety.
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities.
- Opportunity to introduce and implement continuous change initiatives.
- Role is based at Lac de Gras Mine Site, NT.
About the role
Finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs.
We are looking for a Maintainer, UGD Millwright to be responsible for performing planned installation and maintenance to the mechanical equipment in the underground environment in a safe, environmentally friendly and cost-effective manner to ensure that equipment availability is maximized.
This is a great opportunity for a motivated and experienced Millwright to learn and progress your career with the Diavik team.
What the role entails
This role is a great opportunity to provide expert knowledge to key areas of responsibility but not limited to the following: 9105 pump station, 9020 pump station, 8975 pumping station, 9085 pumping station, sump pumps, pump skids, air and water piping, four compressors and underground fixed plant equipment. Working a 2 week on, 2 week off roster and reporting to the UG Maintenance Supervisor, you will:
- Install new or overhauled equipment in a timely manner according to manufacturer’s recommendations
- Fabricate, overhaul, or modify parts of equipment (e.g., cut, shape, machine, weld) within time frames outlined in the maintenance schedule
- Keep work areas and equipment clean and free of safety hazards on a continuous basis and conduct safety audits as per company policy
- Perform preventative maintenance (e.g., oil, grease, adjust, clean, etc.) to achieve equipment availability greater than 90 percent
- Repair equipment within planned time frames as indicated in work orders
- Conduct equipment inspections in response to Operator concerns or as outlined by the maintenance schedule and detect and diagnose troubles (e.g., vibration, heat, odour, abnormal instrument response)
- Perform repairs in a cost-effective, safe, and environmentally friendly manner to maximize equipment availability
- Enter detailed reports on maintenance, repairs, and diagnosis into the preventative and predictive maintenance database prior to the end of each shift
- Provide sufficient detail about repairs so that others can understand what work has been done on the equipment
- Keep work areas clean and free of safety hazards on a continuous basis
- Adhere to site HSE policies, regulations and compliances
- Complete other related work as assigned by the UG Fixed Plant Maintenance Supervisor, Lead Hand, or Senior Managers
- Help develop apprentices including delegating tasks or projects that will assist with their skill development and meet apprenticeship requirements
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Interprovincial Journeyperson Status as a Millwright
- Current St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR is an asset
- Training on the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is an asset
- Valid driver’s license
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance and repair of mining equipment
- At least 3 years of experience working with the same equipment used at our site
- Additional Trade Qualifications as a Welder would be an asset
- In-depth knowledge of Pump installation, maintenance, overhaul and repair
- Knowledge of plant equipment maintenance safety standards
- Familiarity with new technologies (e.g., laser alignment)
- Working knowledge of the Ellipse Information Management System
- Ability to install, maintain, overhaul and repair industrial equipment including slurry pumps, trash pumps, clear water pumps, compressors, jacklegs, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to apply algebra, trigonometry, and geometry appropriately to resolve maintenance problems
- Ability to learn and understand technical procedures and information quickly
- Ability to work with metalworking tools (e.g., cutters, shapers, machining equipment, welding torches, etc.)
- Proven mechanical aptitude as demonstrated by having designed and manufactured equipment parts that work as expected
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
If you are looking for change, a new career and would like to work for a successful global organization, join us today.
Priority consideration will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territory. Members must clearly identify their status in their application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority.
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions.
- A competitive compensation.
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans.
- Attractive share ownership plan.
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave.)
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and materials company. We operate in 35 countries where we produce iron ore, copper, aluminum, critical minerals and other materials needed for the global energy transition and for people, communities, and nations to thrive. We have been mining for 150 years and operate with knowledge built up across generations and continents. Our purpose is finding better ways to provide the materials the world needs – striving for innovation and continuous improvement to produce materials with low emissions and to the right environmental, social and governance standards. But we can’t do it on our own, so we’re focused on creating partnerships to solve problems, create win-win and meet opportunities.
Working at Rio Tinto also means choosing to be part of a company designated as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2023 for a 4th consecutive year. For more information, click here:
Apply for the job now!