Job title: Science Leader (Fisheries and Aquaculture) , Agriculture and Fisheries
Company: Queensland Government
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Science Leader (Fisheries and Aquaculture) , Agriculture and Fisheries Job Details:
Working within the Animal Science division of Agri-Science Queensland, You will:
- provide scientific leadership and management to the Fisheries and Aquaculture teams
- positively contribute to the provision of high-quality, innovative and effective research, development and extension to enhance the profitability and growth of the fisheries and aquaculture industries in Queensland
- provide advice to the Director, Applied Biotechnology, Intensive Livestock and Fisheries & Aquaculture RD&E, the Animal Science management team and General Manager, and DAF Agriculture policy teams.
Job details Position status Permanent
Position type Full-time
Occupational group Sciences
Workplace Location Brisbane – South
Job ad reference QLD/513985/23
Closing date 10-Oct-2023
Contact person Kimberley Wockner
Contact details Phone: 0437 547 176
As our Science Leader – Fisheries & Aquaculture RD&E you will undertake the following key duties:
- Develop, lead and manage a portfolio of research, development and extension projects that enhance the environmental sustainability, productivity, profitability and growth of Queensland’s fisheries and aquaculture industries.
- Ensure a high standard of science and scientific outputs are reported and promoted through internal and external processes; and influence the adoption by industry of new technologies, products and practices.
- Provide leadership in both program and work unit strategic planning and operational activities and manage resources in accordance with agreed strategic and operational plans.
- Strategically advance current and future collaborative links and partnerships with relevant industry sectors, external funding bodies, public sector and other relevant agencies.
- Identify fisheries and aquaculture industry opportunities for First Nations communities and individuals and deliver supporting RD&E programs to establish and sustain indigenous enterprises.
- Undertake regular communication with Queensland’s principal fisheries and aquaculture management body, Fisheries Queensland.
- Brief Animal Science Management on issues relating to fisheries and aquaculture and provide high-quality advice on management, program and industry matters, as necessary.
- Integrate the RD&E within the Division and with other science Divisions in Agri-Science Queensland to deliver both operational efficiencies and innovations to Queensland’s fisheries and aquaculture industries.
- Share information, support and speak on behalf of others when necessary, and deal with conflict to manage difficult individuals, issues and situations in an immediate, direct, objective and positive way.
- Demonstrate high level communication and interpersonal skills, relate well to people at all levels, use diplomacy and tact, use sound judgment on sensitive and confidential issues, and build constructive and effective relationships.
- For appointment to the professional officer stream, you must possess an Australian Bachelor degree or higher (AQF level 7 or equivalent) in science (or an equivalent field) from a recognised tertiary institution.
How to apply
To apply for this role, you will need to submit the following though smartjobs.qld.gov.au:
- A maximum of a two-page STATEMENT outlining your suitability for this role relating to the Key Duties, Technical Requirements and Key Competencies. Be specific in your STATEMENT. Draw on career achievements and provide examples demonstrating tangible outcomes.
- Your current resume detailing your previous work or voluntary experience, including two referees who have personally observed you displaying the key competencies required for this role.
Applications to remain current for 12 months.
Job Ad Reference: QLD/513985/23
Closing Date: Tuesday, 10 October 2023
We are committed to building inclusive cultures in the Queensland public sector that respect and promote and .
Please ensure you download all attachments and follow the instructions on how to apply.
Before applying for this vacancy please ensure you read the documents below.
Apply for the job now!