Job title: Arboriculture Technician
Company: City of Vancouver
Expected salary: $40.29 – 47.57 per hour
Location: Vancouver, BC
Arboriculture Technician Job Details:
Requisition ID: 39167
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Arboriculture Technician is responsible for preserving and protecting the urban forest by performing specialized technical support work for the Urban Forestry department. The Arboriculture Technician represents the Urban Forestry profession and the interests of Vancouver’s urban forest to other City Departments, levels of government, the development community, and the general public. The Arboriculture Technician will put forth contemporary arboricultural strategies and best practices in keeping with up-to-date science and research.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Arboriculture Technician plans and implements strategies to ensure quality tree planting programs. Related tasks include the administration of large planting programs in conjunction with street and development projects, and public tree stewardship events. The Arboriculture Technician also plans and implements tree management strategies and practices that improve the existing urban forest or its maintenance operations. The Arboriculture Technician is often the person to steward the introduction of new technologies and practices. The Arboriculture Technician will also make recommendations for improvements to methods and procedures in all aspects of Arboriculture operations and will provide technical advice to the senior staff of the Urban Forestry Department and Park Board. The Arboriculture Technician must have strong technical skills and independent judgment as they are expected to make reasonable recommendations supported by evidence on the outcome of urban forestry. This role will work collaboratively with outside departments to develop solution-oriented strategies that enhance the City of Vancouver’s urban forest.
Education and Experience:
- University graduation in a discipline applicable to urban forestry with preference for ISA Certified Arborist with TRAQ endorsement and some experience in the municipal arboriculture field, OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable experience with the methods, materials, practices, tools and equipment as used currently in arboriculture.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of Vancouver Urban Forest Strategy and the Van-Tree computer program;
- Considerable knowledge of street tree planting procedures, species profiles and their performance in the local environment, and of the tree farm cultural practice and operations;
- Knowledge of tree species details in relation to tree planting and formulating long term tree planting schedules
- Knowledge of tree diseases, pests, and treatment methods;
- Ability to establish effective liaison and working relationships with co-workers, civic representatives, and the public;
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and studies;
- Ability to conduct moderately complex technical research; identify problems; and identify and implement solutions;
- Ability to estimate time and material requirements and costs related to program proposals;
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, instructions, and reports orally and in writing;
- Strong working knowledge of urban forestry best practices;
- Proficiency in tree and forest inventory, mapping and data management;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and/or AutoCAD and/or Adobe Suite and/or GIS; and
- ISA Certified Arborist with Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (ISA with TRAQ), preferred
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the Board of Parks and Recreation.
- All applicants must also attach their driver’s abstract, claims history and any other relevant certifications to their application.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2023
Position End Date: December, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-025: $40.29 to $47.57 per hour
Application Close: August 11, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. .
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Apply for the job now!